Proactive Data Recovery Can Reduce Repeated Data Breach

Proactive Data Recovery Can Reduce Repeated Data Breach

Foto: Fotolia

IBM Services announced the results of a global study exploring the impact of proactive data recovery planning on the cost and frequency of data breaches. Overall, the study shows a distinct competitive advantage in financial results, operational efficiency, and corporate reputation for organizations that deploy automated disaster recovery to maintain business continuity following a data breach.

The 2018 Cost of Data Breach Study: Impact of Business Continuity Management, sponsored by IBM and conducted by the Ponemon Institute, reinforces the call for new solutions to combat evolving cyber threats around the world. The longer it takes to identify, contain, and recover from a data breach, the more it consumes significant time, money, and resources throughout an organization.

On average, responding companies that prioritize business continuity management saved 44 days in the identification of the incident and 38 days in the containment of the data breach. Taking proactive measures can have a substantial impact on the future health of a business.

As shown in the research, 60 percent of the survey participants who have a disaster recovery program currently use automation and/or orchestration to help drive faster recovery. These organizations reported they have been able to reduce the mean time to identify, contain and recover from a data breach by more than 30%, while the average daily cost of a data breach is lower by more than 50%. They are also able to reduce the chance of disruption to material business operations by more than 20% and reduce the likelihood of a data breach recurring by more than 30%.

"The central takeaway from these study results is the invaluable opportunity that organizations have in the digital age to more effectively protect their organizations, their employees, and their customers," said Andrea Sayles, General Manager of IBM Business Resiliency Services. "Cyber threats are real and will continue to grow, however adopting new innovations to help improve business resilience has proven to boost the long-term vitality of organizations across the globe."

"Our research over the last few years continues to confirm that the proactive steps business leaders and organizations are taking to protect and recover critical data are working," said Larry Ponemon, chairman and founder of Ponemon Institute. "These actions can improve the bottom line, make businesses more efficient, and give customers more confidence to entrust the enterprise with their data."

More from category

LTE Router/Gateway Market Will Reach $1.9 Billion in 2022

LTE Router/Gateway Market Will Reach $1.9 Billion in 2022

18 Feb 2019 comment

While LTE macro networks have been in place for several years in the consumer market, LTE is seeing stronger uptake as a way to provide reliable failover or as a primary WAN connectivity solution in the enterprise, according to IDC.

Government CIOs Will Focus on Data Analytics and Cybersecurity

Government CIOs Will Focus on Data Analytics and Cybersecurity

18 Feb 2019 comment

Data analytics and cybersecurity pushed cloud out of the top spot for increased technology investment by government CIOs in 2019, according to a survey from Gartner.

14 Percent Of Online US Consumers Use Instore Mobile Contactless Services

14 Percent Of Online US Consumers Use Instore Mobile Contactless Services

15 Feb 2019 comment

Despite high levels of support from retailers, only 14% of US respondents currently use OEM-Pay for instore purchases, according to a new survey from Juniper Research.