New Zealand Bans Huawei From 5G Wireless Networks

New Zealand Bans Huawei From 5G Wireless Networks

Foto: Fotolia

New Zealand has followed Australia in banning Huawei from supplying 5G equipment to the nation’s telecommunications operators, citing national security concerns, according to Bloomberg.

News of the ban came via Spark New Zealand, which said its intention to use Huawei 5G equipment had been blocked by the Government Communications Security Bureau. The GCSB told Spark that, if implemented, its plan would “raise significant national security risks,” the company said in a statement to the stock exchange. The GCSB confirmed the ban in a separate statement.

New Zealand’s move comes after Australia in August blocked Huawei as well as ZTE from supplying 5G equipment to its telecommunications operators. The Chinese companies have come under increased scrutiny in the U.S. over fears their equipment could be used for spying. Huawei said it’s looking into the situation and that the company has signed more than 20 commercial 5G contracts around the world.

The Chinese government expressed "grave concerns" about the decision, with Foreign Ministry Spokesman Geng Shuang saying that he hoped "New Zealand will do more to benefit mutual cooperation." However, the U.S. is contacting key allies including Germany, Italy and Japan, to get them to persuade companies in their countries to avoid using equipment from Huawei, the Wall Street Journal reported last week.

More from category

Huawei CFO Gains Bail in Canada as U.S. Seeks Extradition

Huawei CFO Gains Bail in Canada as U.S. Seeks Extradition

12 Dec 2018 comment

Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou was granted bail by a Canadian court, according to Bloomberg.

O2's All-Day Outage Caused Havoc in Ways Many Didn't Expect

O2's All-Day Outage Caused Havoc in Ways Many Didn't Expect

11 Dec 2018 comment

When the U.K.’s second-biggest cell-phone network went down Thursday, it struck transit riders, workers in the gig economy, small businesses and the self-employed, according to Bloomberg.

Tomašković leaves HT on 1 april 2019, Konstantinos Nempis appointed as his successor

Tomašković leaves HT on 1 april 2019, Konstantinos Nempis appointed as his successor

11 Dec 2018 comment

At today's session of the Supervisory Board of Hrvatski Telekom, Davor Tomašković submitted his resignation and announced that as of 1 April 2019 he shall be leaving the position of the President of the Management Board of the company to continue his career outside of the Deutsche Telekom group. The Supervisory Board has appointed Konstantinos Nempis to his position, who will assume the duties of President of the Management Board as of 1 April 2019.